Small gains and losses for indices
The European major stock indices are ending the session with mixed results. Most if the indices are modestly higher or lower.
- German DAX fell -0.2%
- France’s CAC was flat
- UK’s FTSE fell -0.1%
- Spain’s Ibex rose 0.6%
- Italy’s FTSE MIB rose 1.08% on favorable budget news
- Portugal’s PSI 20 rose 0.82%
In the benchmark 10 year notes, Italian yields are sharply lower. Italian yields tumbled on a report that Italy’s economy minister is set on preventing the 2019 budget deficit rising above 1.6 percent of domestic output.
Other yields were around the levels from Friday.
In the forex market, the GBP has taken over the lead spot from the CHF as the strongest currency of the day. The USD is the weakest currency (although off the lows a bit).
In other markets as London/European traders look toward the exits:
- Spot gold is reacting higher to the lower USD. It is up $9.72 or 0.81% at $1203.16
- WTI all futures are trading down $-.06 or -0.9% at $68.96
In the US stock market:
- S&P indexes down -7.5 points or -0.26% at 2897.41
- NASDAQ indexes down -66 points or -0.83% at 7943.90
- Dow is down -14.5 points or -0.6% at 26140
In the US debt market, yields have turned back to the negative side after earlier today the 10 year yield reached a six-week high.